Information for New Faculty
Faculty from the School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Engineering utilize a Faculty Information System (FIS) — a single, powerful tool for organizing and showcasing their accomplishments.
Faculty Headshot Guidelines
Faculty are encouraged to add a photo to their Elements profile, which will then be reused on the Discovery public profile and on department and school websites. The guidelines for photos are as follows:
- .JPG format
- Portrait orientation
- Ideally 500x625 pixels (no less than 400x500 pixels)
- Ideal aspect ratio is 4:5 (e.g.: an 8x10 photo)
- Ideal photo composition does not contain too much background space, and does not contain other people
PLEASE NOTE: The image that is uploaded to Elements (prior to cropping to a selected squared area of the entire photo) will be imported to department and school websites. Please follow the above guidelines, to help ensure that the image is optimal for website usage.
New Faculty Orientation
The Deans of the School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Engineering are pleased to offer a series of orientation events for new full and part-time faculty every August.
The New Faculty Orientation (NFO) is an opportunity to learn of faculty resources in AS&E, meet new colleagues, and enjoy an informal reception at the end of the day.
Orientation week events may include:
- New Faculty General Orientation
- Mandatory OEO Training on Sexual Harassment and Misconduct
- AS&E Faculty Meeting and Reception (New Faculty Introductions)
- HR/Benefits Orientation for New Faculty
- CELT (Center for the Enhancement of Learning & Teaching) Teaching Orientation
- Mental Health Orientation
- New Faculty Research Orientation (A&S only)
- New Faculty Tenure & Promotion Orientations
Resources for New Faculty
We have gathered information for new faculty in the School of Arts & Sciences, and the School of Engineering, including a 'University 101' PowerPoint presentation, and details about diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice (DEIJ) at Tufts University.